Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Middlesex Township Splash Pad

When I started our quest to have "the best summer ever" and started preparing Javon's summer bucket list, I searched the four corners of Pintrest to help me fill the list with the best ideas I could find. I read more then 100 other families summer bucket lists, some with only 20 ideas others with 250 or more. Although different, many had a lot of the same ideas. One I noticed repeated on more then half, was to visit a splash pad. I don't know about you, but I had never heard of a splash pad before. I figured it had something to do with water, seemed it would be kid friendly and the name sounded fun. So, without any research or hesitation, I blindly added "visit a splash pad" to the list. I didn't even know if there was a local splash pad, but I was determined I would find one and Javon would like it!

Fast forward to this past Sunday, Javon had been away for the weekend. I was excited to have him back and was ready to jump into some fun. After doing some research online, I was able to locate a splash pad about 20 minutes from our home. It looked pretty cool on the website but I didn't had pretty much no clue what to expect. 

The Middlesex Township splash pad is located in Carlise. From I-81 we took the same exit as The Sports Emporium. The splash pad is in a township park that goes by the name of Main Park. When we arrived Sunday evening around 5, the park was pretty busy. Along with the splash pad, this park also had a playground, basketball court, baseball fields a picnic pavillion and charcoal grills. From the parking lot I could see that the only 2 benches located near the splash pad were taken, but that other parents had made spots for themselves in the surrounding grassy areas. I was thankful that I still had chairs in my trunk leftover from the weekends events. We found a close spot in the grass and Javon headed in to play. 


So what is a splash pad exactly? It's pretty much a glorified sprinkler. This one is a 30x30' slab of concrete that is painted bright blue. There are about 10 different holes where water shoots up from the ground at different hights and angles. The water constantly drains so there is no standing water. It's a great little place to cool off on a hot summer day. The fun was not only for the little ones though, I witnessed 2 dads and at least one mom joining in and they looked to be having just as much fun as the kids.  I would like to point out that I was alittle nervous that Javon would not enjoy this much because he is not a fan of water spraying anywhere near his face. I was pleasantly surprised when after a few moments of getting used to it all, he was running head first through the streams of water. I think it was because the features were so gentle, he was able to fully enjoy the splash pad. I think a splash pad could make a great addition to most local parks here in the Harrisburg area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a park closer to home with catch on to the trend and install a splash pad soon! 
 





If you go:

1. The Splash Pad is located at 50 Beagle Club Road in Carlise. 

2. The Splash pad is open from 10:30am to 7pm everyday, Memorial Day - Labor Day. 

3. It's free!!! 

4. Make a day or a half day out of it! Pack a lunch or cook out on one of the provided grills! Bring a chair for yourself and a book or magazine and relax while the kids enjoy! 
  
For more information visit http://middlesextwp.com




No comments:

Post a Comment