Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why we ditched OCMD for The Jersey Shore!

If you would question me about beach vacations of my childhood, I could easily write you a book filled with memories. Sunny days on a hot sandy beach and cooler nights spent cruising the boardwalk, riding rides at Trimpers and snacking on big buckets of Thrashers fries and Fishers popcorn. All of these fond memories took place in Ocean City, Maryland. I also remember the seemingly endless drive to get there and back from
Central PA. In the past few years, I've heard rumors that the beach I loved as a child is quickly turning from an awesome family-friendly resort town to more of a summer-long frat party. 

Fast forward to present time, and ask my 4 year old about his favorite beach memories. All the excitement of building sandcastles, "surfing" (boogie boarding), rides and endless games of mini golf stems from the beautiful seaside town of Ocean City, NJ. Yes his first trip to the beach was indeed in OCMD, but he was 7 or 8 months old at the most, and this would also be his only trip there to date. The following summer would include our first visit to OCNJ and we have not looked back since! 


Summer of 2011; I was employeed at a hotel and with my employee discount I had intentions of booking a little summer get away at a great price in OCMD. Those plans were quickly shot down when I realized that no sister properties within 50+ miles offered employee rates in season due to the popularity in the region. Hopes dashed I settled on a property that did offer the discounted rates about 5 miles outside of Atlantic City. Before we set off on our mini vacation to the Jersey Shore, my mom brought the idea of visiting OCNJ while we were in the area because it was a short distance from Atlantic City. I agreed but in the back of my mind all I could think was this is not going to be the same, I will never love another beach town as much as I loved OCMD. 

Crossing the bridge into Ocean City, NJ for the first time felt familiar. A water tower with "Welcome to Ocean City New Jersey" greeted cars as they approached the final stretch into town. The Ferris Wheels poked into view and my excitement grew as I began to realize I may indeed grow to like this place.  


I didn't just grow to like OCNJ, I grew to love it! Maybe even more then our past destination of choice. I fell in love with the adorable homes that lined the streets. They are gorgeous homes that I envy anyone who owns one. I fell in love with the family atmosphere, as a young mom that was most important to me. The boardwalk was full of life. The kind of atmosphere where tons of families with small children and lots of strollers wondered from shop to shop. This is the atmosphere I craved as a mother. Somewhere I felt safe to bring my child to enjoy a weekend get-away. Not to mention the drive was half that of getting to OCMD. A straight shot down the turnpike, through Philly and onto the Atlantic City expressway and your there!


Ocean City, New Jersey has something to offer everyone. The beach is gorgeous! It's one of the cleanest, if not most clean beach I've ever been to on the east coast. Visiting the beach in OCNJ during season does have a price though. Like most beaches in Jersey, a beach tag must be purchased to enjoy the main attraction. A daily tag is 5$, weekly 10$, and seasonal tags can be purchased for 25$. The price is well worth it. The beach is the perfect length, just enough room for everyone to get a spot and short enough that you don't feel like you've walked forever to get to the water. 


There are tons of family attractions dotted along the boardwalk. You can take your 
pick of many themed mini-golf courses, indoor and outdoor. Rent a bike or surrey from a local bike shop and take a ride down the boards in the morning. There is a waterpark and 2 amusement parks. Playland's Castaway Cove is a pirate themed ride area located in about the middle of the boardwalk offering over 30 rides for all ages. On the northern end of the boardwalk is Gillian's Wonderland Pier which has been around since 1929! They also offer over 30 rides for all ages. 


I could go on all day professing my love for this quaint little town that springs to life each summer. Overall, we have ditched OCMD to spend our summers in OCNJ because of the shorter drives, the beautiful beaches and mostly for the family focused environment. If you find a few spare days this summer, I highly suggest packing up the kids and visiting Ocean City, NJ this summer even if it's just an overnight stay, I promise you won't be disappointed! 



No comments:

Post a Comment